Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Mention: Petula Pea Photography


Meet the amazing Patty Brutlag from Petula Pea Photography!  Petula Pea Photography specializes in family, baby, wedding and lifestyle photography. She is based out of Carlsbad, CA but books photoshoots throughout San Diego County.  Petula Pea photographs are the perfect combination of beautiful and fun!  Read more to learn how she got started in photography and what keeps her inspired.  Take a moment to enjoy a few of her beautiful photographs throughout the interview and also keep your eyes peeled for an amazing special she is offering all Creative Travel Mugs fans!


"I find joy in making memories for you! My style is stunning, colorful & crisp ~ I love photographing people & weddings. " - Patty

What inspired you to start your own photography business?

My husband & my baby girl! Owning my own photography business was a dream of mine since I graduated college. But since timing is everything, it didn’t happen when I was young. When I knew I was going to marry Andy & the thought of being a mommy someday, we both wanted to make sure that when we had babies I could stay home with them & work for myself (instead of working for corporate like I had done since college). Having photo shoots in the evenings and weekends allowed for a 2nd income and my passion to bloom.

How long have you been a photographer?

Hahaha, I could say since I was a child when I took that perfect photo with my parents polaroid, but I’ll date it back to Jerry Halfman’s class my freshman year in High School, then continued into college. So, 24 years!

How would you describe your style?
 My photography is very colorful & modern, yet timeless. I like to stay true-to-color when I edit so when my client
looks back at the photos, they are timeless, not some of the trendy looks that are going around right now.

What is your favorite photography accessory, other than your camera?
It’s usually my prime Canon lens 50mm f/1.4 but lately it’s been my EF 100mm f/2.8L


Where is your favorite place to have a photo shoot and why?
I don’t have one particular place… if it offers heavenly light and a gorgeous backdrop, I am bound to find it!


What has been your most memorable assignment and why?

This is such a tough question! Each session is unique with amazing memories. I LOVE photographing a wedding because it’s one of the most memorable & joyous days for my client. Yet, a gorgeous maternity session I shot last month just resulted in a precious newborn baby girl. Can I say all of them are memorable?

If there was one thing you could have people say about your photos, what would it be?
I’d be lying if I said that didn’t care if people liked my photography. I get the most incredible compliments from strangers and my clients. I sometimes have to pinch myself because I can’t believe that Petula Pea exists. I am so appreciative if 1 person likes what I do.   But as long as I love the outcome (and my husband) that’s all what maters J


What is your best tip to share with a beginner photographer?

Find a local photographer that you admire & whom you love her/his style, then ask if you can work for free!
Having a degree in photography is great but experience is key!!!


Anything else you would like to add?
Yes! I also wouldn’t have been able to do this without my very own wedding photographer (now dear friend), Susie Linquist.
I boldly asked her when I hired her to be my photographer if I could work for her someday for free.

I firmly believed that she said yes because I believed in myself. I interned with her, then became an associate for Susie Linquist Photography until just recently.  She taught me everything I know about the business and shooting weddings. Thank you Sus!!!

Do you have a promotion you would like to offer our fans?

Sure! They can take $100 off any portrait package.
Or, $300 off any wedding package!
(Book by April 15th, 2012)






Website:www.petulapea.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/petula.pea.photography

Twitter: (someday!)

Phone: 760.815.0109

Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think of Petula Pea Photography!!

1 comment: